Tal-y-Bont (Diver Trail)

Brief History:

The Tal-y-Bont (or Bronze Bell) shipwreck is one of the sites in Wales designated under the Protecxtion of Wrecks Act (1973).  The vessel on the site is of unknown provenance but is strongly suspected as being a heavily armed merchant ship of around 700 tons that wrecked on St. Patrick's Causeway (Sarn Badrig Reef) in Cardigan Bay, adjacent to the town of Tal-y-Bont, sometime between 1707 and 1709 whilst carrying a cargo of large Carrara marble blocks. 

Over the years various artefacts have been recovered from the site, including the bronze bell (after which the the site is alternatively known), and many of these finds are now on display at a small museum dedicated to this shipwreck in the local town of Barmouth.      

England and Scotland both have diver trails, and this site would lend itself to being the first dedicated diver trail in Wales.  With this in mind, in 2011, MADU submitted to Cadw a proposal for such a trail:  Tal-y-Bont Designated Wreck Site: Diver Trail Project Proposal 

Bronze Bell Museum in Barmouth Bronze Bell Museum in Barmouth

The Bronze Bell Museum in Barmouth

 Inside the Bronze Bell Museum in Barmouth

 Inside the Bronze Bell Museum in Barmouth

Inside the Bronze Bell Museum in Barmouth

 The Bronze Bell recovered from the Tal-y-Bont site

 Armaments recovered from the Tal-y-Bont site

 
The Bronze Bell recovered from the
Tal-y-Bont site
 
 
Armaments recovered from the
Tal-y-Bont site
 

 One of the blocks of marble recovered from the Tal-y-Bont site that has been carved and on display in Barmouth

 One of the blocks of marble recovered from the Tal-y-Bont site that has been carved and on display in Barmouth

     One of the blocks of marble that was recovered from the Tal-y-Bont site that has been carved and is now on display on the quayside in Barmouth 

  Poster showing the underwater sites off the Welsh coast that have been designated under the Protection of Wrecks Act (1973) 

 Poster showing the underwater sites off the Welsh coast that have been designated under the Protection of Wrecks Act (1973)