Resurgam (1879-1880)

Brief History:

The Resurgamwas built in 1879 by J.T Cochrane at Birkenhead to the designs of the Reverend George William Garrett and was the first steam powered submarine.  She was 42ft (12.8m) long x 12ft (3.7m) diameter and was lost while under tow on 25th February 1880 off the north coast of Wales.

The Resurgam is one of the Welsh maritime sites that is designated under the Protection of Wrecks Act (1973).

Between 1st & 14th June 1997, a MADU Team attended the NAS SubMap Project off the coast of Rhyll in North Wales, to help with recording and survey work being undertaken on the site.

SubMap was carried out as a joint project between the Archaeological Diving Unit (ADU) using commercial divers, and the Nautical Archaeological Society (NAS) with its sport divers.

The MADU Team assisted with the survey of the submarine, and then drew up the results using Computerised Web Surveying Software, and a schematic sketch of the site is shown below.

Computer generated survey of the ResurgamDrawing of the Resurgam by Bill Turmer
Computer Generated Survey of
the Resurgam

Sketch of the Resurgam by Bill Turner

In addition to surveying tasks, Bill Turner of MADU produced a sketch of the submarine, a copy of which is shown above, and this sketch has been reproduced in Jane's Submarines, edited by Robert Hutchinson, and published by Harper Collins in 2001 (ISBN 0 00 710558 4). - Click on image for a larger version.

Below are a few photos taken during the project: 

Divers at the Conning Tower of the Resurgam Divers at the Conning Tower of the Resurgam

Divers at the Conning Tower of the Resurgam

Divers Surveying at the Bow of the Resurgam Divers Surveying at the Bow of the Resurgam

Divers Surveying at the Bow of the Resurgam

Boats over the site of the Resurgam

Boats over the Site of the Resurgam

 
For further information relating to the Resurgam, see the 3H Consulting web site